A simple salad for dinner tonight using leftover air fried vegetables.
- Iceberg lettuce
- Air fried potato
- Air fried pumpkin
- Air fried carrot
- Cherry tomatoes
Garnished with fresh cut sage from my garden and Vegenaise mixed with fresh squeezed lemon juice.
A lot of salads can be fairly one dimensional when it comes to flavour.
Green leafy stuff and the main ingredient along with a dressing.
I decided to try to think outside the box with this one.
Roast a whole lot of different vegetables but add different herbs and spices to them.
The result…….an explosion of different flavours with every bite.
Add to that a fresh home made and oil free chilli, basil and cucumber dressing to take up to another level again.
Try it out by following my recipe below or substitute with your own fave flavours. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
FLAVOURS OF THE WORLD VEGETABLE SALAD WITH SASSY DRESSING
- Potatoes cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 4 carrots (washed but not peeled)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1/2 orange
- 1 large red capsicum cut into medium sized chunks
- 1 large green capsicum cut into medium sized chunks
- 1 bunch of asparagus sliced into one inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon of Southern American spicy seasoning
- 1 large zucchini cut in half then sliced into chunky pieces
- 1 teaspoon of Middle Eastern spice mix
- 1 small piece of pumpkin cut into small pieces with the skin on
- 1 teaspoon of dry oregano
- 1 small punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 1 large bag of pre-washed leafy greens lettuce mix
- CHILLI BASIL CUCUMBER DRESSING
- Leaves from 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 large cucumber
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 long red chilli
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 pinch of salt
Prepare all of the vegetables as outlined above ready to cook.
Steam the potatoes, carrots and pumpkin pieces for 10 minutes.
Cover the following vegetables with the chosen herbs and spices.
Carrot - cumin and orange juice
Asparagus - Southern American spice mix
Zucchini - Middle Eastern spice mix
Cherry tomatoes - Cracked black pepper
Air fry each vegetable at 180 degrees until cooked. Potatoes take 10-12 minutes while tomatoes and asparagus only need 3-4 minutes.
Once all cooked layer on top of a bed of leafy greens lettuce mix. Can be served hot, warm or cold.
Place the basil leaves, cucumber, chilli, salt and lemon juice into a blend.
Blend at a high speed for a few minutes until well combined adding a tablespoon of water twice during the process.
Pour into a serving dish and place on the table with the salad.
* The vegetables could alternatively be baked in the oven.
* If the dressing is too wet place in a piece of paper towel and squeeze the excess liquid out before pouring out into a serving dish.
Spring and summer means we all start to eat more salads right?
Can’t face the prospects of another salad full of tasteless greens unless you slather it with heaps of fatty dressing?
Well it’s time to think again.
Here I have taken a basic classic salad base, spinach leaves and rocket with cucumber and celery. OK time to pimp this salad up.
Add juicy blueberries and super sweet watermelon which provide a great contrast to the earthy green flavours.
Also some raw broccoli florets lightly dusted with chilli flakes for a bit of bite and again more contrast.
I added some Oliana plant based feta then dressed the salad with the light and tasty Dr Fuhrman’s Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar.
- Spinach leaves
- Broccoli florets
- Dried chilli flakes
- Oliana feta
- Pomegranate balsamic vinegar
In a dish or plate, layer with salad leaves, cucumber and celery.
Add the broccoli, watermelon and blueberries.
Diced the plant based feta and sprinkle over the salad.
Garnish with the pomegranate balsamic vinegar.
Spring has sprung at my place which means the start of BBQ time.
This is one of my favourite ways to eat delicious wholefoods. They cheap to buy or easy to grow, simple to prepare and super tasty. Best of all you are eating a bowl of nutrition.
I added a bit of spice with Naked Byron Foods vegan chipotle mayonnaise, which is made with aquafaba.
- 1 x large sweet potato
- 2 x fresh corn cobs
- 2 x eggplants
- 5 x medium mushrooms
- 2 x brown onions
- 3 x tomatoes
- Salad leaves
- 2 tablespoons of Naked Byron Foods vegan chipotle mayonnaise
Slice up the sweet potato into rough pieces. Place in the microwave on high for three minutes.
Prepare the other vegetables (cut, slice and season as desired)
Turn on the BBQ and allow to heat up for a few minutes.
Cook the vegetables in the following order:
Layer two bowls with a generous amount of salad greens.
Add char-grilled vegetables.
Dress with vegan chipotle mayonnaise.
The best salad I’ve ever made!!! Yes the best salad I’ve ever made!!!
- Oven roasted garlic and thyme field mushroom
- Oven roasted tomato
- Spinach leaves and rocket
- Chick peas
- Smoked pumpkin seeds
- Air fried Mediterranean spiced - red capsicum - green capsicum - carrot - Zucchini
- Air fried Rosemary flavoured - salted eggplant pieces
Cook the baked and air fried vegetables.
Prepare other ingredients.
Plate up and garnish with Vegenaise.