A lot of salads can be fairly one dimensional when it comes to flavour.
Green leafy stuff and the main ingredient along with a dressing.
I decided to try to think outside the box with this one.
Roast a whole lot of different vegetables but add different herbs and spices to them.
The result…….an explosion of different flavours with every bite.
Add to that a fresh home made and oil free chilli, basil and cucumber dressing to take up to another level again.
Try it out by following my recipe below or substitute with your own fave flavours. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
FLAVOURS OF THE WORLD VEGETABLE SALAD WITH SASSY DRESSINGPrint Recipe
- Potatoes cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 4 carrots (washed but not peeled)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1/2 orange
- 1 large red capsicum cut into medium sized chunks
- 1 large green capsicum cut into medium sized chunks
- 1 bunch of asparagus sliced into one inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon of Southern American spicy seasoning
- 1 large zucchini cut in half then sliced into chunky pieces
- 1 teaspoon of Middle Eastern spice mix
- 1 small piece of pumpkin cut into small pieces with the skin on
- 1 teaspoon of dry oregano
- 1 small punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 1 large bag of pre-washed leafy greens lettuce mix
- CHILLI BASIL CUCUMBER DRESSING
- Leaves from 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 large cucumber
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 long red chilli
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 pinch of salt
Prepare all of the vegetables as outlined above ready to cook.
Steam the potatoes, carrots and pumpkin pieces for 10 minutes.
Cover the following vegetables with the chosen herbs and spices.
Potato - rosemary
Carrot - cumin and orange juice
Pumpkin - oregano
Asparagus - Southern American spice mix
Zucchini - Middle Eastern spice mix
Cherry tomatoes - Cracked black pepper
Air fry each vegetable at 180 degrees until cooked. Potatoes take 10-12 minutes while tomatoes and asparagus only need 3-4 minutes.
Once all cooked layer on top of a bed of leafy greens lettuce mix. Can be served hot, warm or cold.
FOR THE DRESSING
Place the basil leaves, cucumber, chilli, salt and lemon juice into a blend.
Blend at a high speed for a few minutes until well combined adding a tablespoon of water twice during the process.
Pour into a serving dish and place on the table with the salad.
* The vegetables could alternatively be baked in the oven. * If the dressing is too wet place in a piece of paper towel and squeeze the excess liquid out before pouring out into a serving dish.